Three Numbers You Should Know

Aug 15, 2023 | Blog

911 is a national emergency number that has been around for decades and adopted by many countries. In recent years, city and state governments across the U.S. have adopted additional three-digit telephone numbers to help individuals and families navigate crisis and everyday needs.

Here are three numbers you should know and spread throughout our community.

211 – Help in times of crisis and beyond

The 211 Helpline is a 24/7, 365-day information and referral line staffed by trained specialists. You can call 211 or text your zip code to 898-211 to connect with a specialist and locate critical resources and services such as counseling, food assistance, disaster assistance, health care, utility assistance, employment services, veteran services, childcare and more. You can also visit tn211.myresourcedirectory.com to browse resources and services by zip code or county.

At United Way, our 211 program director and team manage partnerships and local data that support 42 Middle Tennessee counties.

988 – Mental health crisis and suicide prevention

988 is a free, 24/7 lifeline that provides confidential support to people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. Since launching nationally in July 2022, the service has helped thousands of people overcome crisis. When Tennesseans contact 988, we are routed to a local center managed by the Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services.

You can text 988 to connect with a trained counselor or visit 988lifeline.org/chat to initiate an online conversation. Visit tn.gov/988 to learn more.

311 – Citizen’s hotline

When issues or concerns arise in your community that don’t require immediate attention from first responders—or when you need non-emergency police assistance—remember 311. Residents often dial 311 to report abandoned cars, roadway and signage issues, burglary, debris removal and more. The service is available in most major cities, including Metro Nashville and Davidson County. You can browse services and submit an online request at hub.nashville.gov.

We encourage our neighbors outside of Davidson County to contact your city government to inquire about your local non-emergency number.