Individuals, families earning less than $70,000 in 2022 are eligible for free tax prep services
Today, United Way of Greater Nashville and partner agencies officially kicked off the 19th annual Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) free tax prep program.
Through VITA, IRS-certified tax preparers provide free tax preparation services to individuals and families who earned $70,000 or less per household in 2022, helping qualifying individuals receive important credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit that lift millions out of poverty each year. Now through April, United Way is partnering to operate 20 VITA sites throughout Middle Tennessee, including nine locations in Davidson County:
- Conexión Américas (2195 Nolensville Pike, Nashville, TN): Open Jan. 30 to April 18; Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Call 615.270.9252 for an appointment.
- Nashville Public Library – Bordeaux Branch (4000 Clarksville Pike Nashville, TN 37218): Open Feb. 4 to April 8; Saturdays 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Appointment-only. Click here to schedule an appointment.
- Nashville Public Library – Goodlettsville Branch (250 Rivergate Parkway, Goodlettsville, TN 37072): Open Feb. 4 to April 15; Saturday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. *Closed Feb. 18 and March 25* Appointment-only. Click here to schedule an appointment.
- Nashville Public Library – Pruitt Branch (117 Charles E. Davis Blvd., Nashville, TN 37210): Open Feb. 1 to April 12; 2 to 5 p.m. on Feb. 1 and 15, March 1, 15 and 29, and April 12; 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Feb. 11 and 25, March 11 and 25, and April 8. Appointment-only. Click here to schedule an appointment.
- Redeemed Christian Church of God (2128 Murfreesboro Pike, Nashville, TN 37217): Open Feb. 4 to April 15; Saturday noon to 4 p.m.; Sunday 2 to 4 p.m. Walk-ins welcome.
- St. Luke’s Community House (5601 New York Ave., Nashville, TN 37209): Open Feb. 7 to April 13; Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.; Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Tennessee State University, Avon Williams Campus (330 10th Ave. N., Room AWC 250, Nashville, TN 37203): Open from Feb. 11 to April 15; Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Closed March 11. Click here to schedule an appointment.
- Westwood Baptist Church Center (2510 Albion St., Nashville, TN 37208): Open Feb. 4 to April 13; Mondays from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 4 to 7 p.m.; Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to noon; Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 4 to 7 p.m.; Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Appointment-only. Click here to schedule an appointment. Walk-ins welcome on Saturdays.
- Woodbine Community Center (635 Spence Lane, Nashville, TN 37217): Open Jan. 30 to April 18; Mondays (intake only) and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.; Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Walk-ins welcome.
The average taxpayer spends $300 to have their taxes prepped and filed at paid tax service providers. Thanks to the VITA free tax prep program, volunteers help low- to moderate-income individuals save crucial dollars that could go toward rent, food, childcare and gas. Last year, VITA volunteers completed almost 9,000 returns, helping taxpayers save more than $2.7 million in tax preparation fees.
“With expenses in Nashville increasing, now more than ever it is important to keep more of what you have earned,” said Brian Hassett, president and CEO of United Way of Greater Nashville. “Our VITA free tax prep program works with so many of our neighbors to do just that. The VITA program helps thousands of individuals save by keeping their full tax return in their pockets so they can use their income for essentials.”
Taxpayers can find their nearest VITA site and more information about the program by visiting unitedwayfilefree.com or through United Way’s 211 Helpline by calling 211 or texting their ZIP code to 898-211.